Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Retro Sounds: Miida Stereo Receiver

On a recent thrift store run, I dipped my toes into the pool of vintage sound systems.  I bought a Miida Stereo Receiver.  It's a nice looking receiver and it is totally analog.  When you power it up, it has dials and needles and a warm glow.  The sound it delivers is pretty good, too.  But, there is a problem.  One stereo channel cuts out completely--even when listening to headphones.  A little whack can help it come back, but that's not a fun way to listen to music.

I probably jarred the unit a bit when positioning it on the shelf and attaching speakers.  But, now I am in a quandary about whether to have it repaired, learn to repair it myself, or ditch it and buy a more modern receiver when the time is right.  I don't want a $40 dollar receiver to become a $400 receiver.  But, it would be so cool if it worked right!

Miida Stereo Receiver
I could just save up a little money and buy a new receiver like the Onkyo TX-8255 (shown below).  I'm sure it would work well and sound great.  But, I'm a little stubborn about these things.




No comments:

Post a Comment